Hellooooo out there, Myrtle Beach! Hey, Little River, what’s happening? It’s Cool Cat stopping by for a quick chat about that renovation project you’ve got going on. Lots of folks tackle their renovation and remodeling projects in the fall and spring when it’s not so hot out and it’s not yet cold. Whether you’re redoing one room or your whole house, any kind of remodeling creates extra dust, grit, grime and dirt. YUCK!
Usually, the first thing people do after a reno is to clean up the new room and the rest of the house to capture grime that has migrated during the project. But they often totally forget about cleaning their HVAC! Look, Cool Cat understands that it’s easy to get wrapped up in the reno details like flooring, paint, layout, lighting… But your HVAC is going to need a good deep clean too. There are some things you can do to prevent too much grit from getting in your system but even the best prevention won’t keep all of the mess out of your HVAC.
Here are some things Cool Cat recommends you do before starting your remodeling project.
- Close all HVAC vents – Prevent dust from getting sucked up into your ductwork.
- Get vent covers – Magnetic vent covers from your local home store can help prevent even super tiny particles from getting through and they’re inexpensive.
- Consider upgrading your HVAC – A renovation is a great time to upgrade your HVAC. If your system is more than 10 years old, chances are you’ll need a new one soon anyway. Better yet, the higher SEER ratings and increased energy-efficiency of today’s systems will save you major cabbage on your utility bill.
HVAC Clean Up After Your Reno
If you aren’t ready for a new HVAC system, here are some things you can do to help clean up your HVAC after the renovation is done.
- Change the air filter – Trust Cool Cat that after any reno project, your air filter is going to be full of gunk and needs to be changed.
- Have ductwork cleaned – No matter how good you are at the prevention steps above, you just can’t prevent it all so some dust and debris is going to make its way into your ducts. Have them cleaned as soon as the project is complete.
- Have your HVAC serviced – A thorough cleaning and maintenance appointment will make sure your HVAC is in top working condition and clean as a whistle after your reno project to keep it working smoothly and efficiently.
Of course, the cats over at Carolina Cool can help you get your HVAC and ductwork sparkling like brand new. They have the latest equipment and technology to get the job done right. Oh, and don’t forget to invite Cool Cat to your housewarming or reno show-off party! A great party really twists my whiskers!